What Does Renew Lease on WiFi Mean?
If you’re trying to figure out the error message, “Renew lease on WiFI” you’ve come to the right place. This article will help to demystify how to renew lease on WiFi, what it means for your IP address, and how to do it.
What Is a WiFi Lease?
A lease refers to a temporary IP address that the dynamic host configuration protocol, or DHCP, gives you when you connect to a wireless network. Every time you log into a wireless network, the DHCP lease changes again. This means a new IP address.
The renew lease process means you change to a new IP address manually rather than automatically.
What Does a Renew Lease Do?
You might wonder why you should go through the renew lease process. Why get a new IP address? Here are some reasons why you might want to do it.
- You’re experiencing connection issues. Sometimes a new IP address can help that.
- You have an IP address conflict, such as the IP address being blocked from a website.
- If there’s been a router reconfiguration, the renew lease process could fix any connectivity issues.
We explained a bit about the DHCP lease. Now, let’s go into it deeper. When using a WiFi network, think of obtaining an IP address as renting it. Then, once you’re done using it, you return the IP address to its rightful place.
Once the lease duration, the time you’re using it, expires, you stop communicating on the IP address network. This process helps ensure that multiple devices aren’t using the same IP address, creating conflicts.
Does Renew Lease Change IP Address?
It depends. The router or DHCP server will issue the next available IP to the next device that requests one. If the same IP is available, often the server will issue the same IP you had before.
How to Renew Your WiFi Connection
The renew lease process can change depending on what device you use.
For iOS devices, it’s simple to renew your lease and change IP addresses. Let’s look at how.
- Go to your WiFi settings, which you can access through the Settings app.
- Click on the WiFi network and then click the ‘i’ icon.
- You should see a Renew Lease button. Tap it once, then again to confirm.
- If, for whatever reason, you cannot find the Renew Lease button, forget the network and log on again.
The process for Android users is a bit more complicated for Android users but still simple. Let’s explain what you need to do.
- Like iOS users, you want to visit your Wi-Fi network by going to Settings, then clicking on Connections, which should show you the Wi-Fi settings. Once there, select the Wi-Fi network you’re connected to.
- Click the gear icon on the right side of the Wi Fi network you’re connected to, then tap the Forget option located at the bottom of the settings.
- After that, log in to the Wi Fi network again. Once you enter your credentials, you should receive a different IP address than your initial assigned IP address.
For Windows XP and beyond:
- Open the Command Prompt and type “ipconfig/release” (without quotation marks) then hit enter.
- Once you’ve received confirmation, type “ipconfig/renew” (without quotation marks) and enter.
- If you have enterd the command correctly, you should see a new IP address assigned to you.
For Mac OS:
- Go to Setting and click on System Preferences
- Go to Internet and Network and select Network
- Select the tab labeled TCP/IP
- On the right side of the screen, you should see an option to Renew DHCP Lease. Click on that, click OK, and exit. You now have a new WiFi lease.
What to Do if You Can’t Renew WiFi Lease
Your WiFi lease should renew. If it doesn’t, selecting Windows Diagnostic Tool can help with the process if you’re using Windows. Resetting the network settings also works.
Alternatively, you can check your router by logging in and reset it. The process differs depending on your ISP, so contact them for more questions.
Does Renew Lease Make the WiFi Faster?
Changing your current IP address will not make your Internet go faster. The bandwidth from your internet service provider, distance from device to the router, and other factors determine an Internet’s speed.
How Long Does It Take To Renew a Lease on WIFI?
When you go through the lease renewal process, it should take little to no time. However, the length it takes for a network to locate a new IP address can change. Therefore, you might be experiencing connection issues if it takes longer than usual for the lease renewal.
Is It Safe to Renew a Lease on WIFI?
Yes. Renewing the lease does not reset the network, meaning that you’re not in any danger of having your information exposed. Therefore, the process is about as dangerous as refreshing a page.
Written By Brittany Derderian, Director of Marketing
Brittany Derderian is the Director of Marketing at Broadlinc internet services. Her responsibilities include leading the company’s marketing efforts, overseeing and growing the marketing department, consistently identifying revenue opportunities within our established client base and managing consistent growth by securing new accounts, collaborating with the leadership team to uncover insights and strategies to develop and implement marketing and branding strategies for new and existing products, and spearheading the strategic and tactical execution of marketing campaigns, including design of test/control segmentation, implementation of tests, tracking, results reporting, analysis, and recommendations. You can find her on the weekends enjoying the outdoors of Colorado with her husband, Logan Derderian.